Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Constant Heartbreak since the Fall

Genesis 3:6-13 "When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"

12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."

13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"
The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate.""

The Garden of Eden was a place in God's presence. In his love, and all the joy that comes from knowing and being able to talk with your creator. Adam had to have talks while walking with God around the garden. Naked yes but what are clothes when we don't know we are naked. The Garden was a place were God's love was tied to humans closely and very intimately. Nothing exists such as rape, jealousy, hate, confusion, and any other problems you could think of basically. In the presence of God we have security and do not have to worry about such things. I think that its not stressed enough what actually happens here in Genesis.

"I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

As Adam hid in his newly made Garment's he feared God. Have you ever wondered why Adam would fear God now though? I mean all God showed to Adam was love and one command. Adam did not know what lying was, what death was, or what insecurity was prior to that one fruit, all he knew about really was the love he recieved from God. That was until he ate the fruit.The fruit gave him knowledge of uncertainty sort of. He went from having the amazing love of God to nothing. He knew that he had betrayed God, something new to him, and was not sure that God would still love him at all. Its quite sad to think of this unlimited love instantly cut off because of one bite.

"The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."

It also starts where we shove the blame to someone else or try to disassociate from negative situations. I mention before talking to a guy that I was able to cast aside looks, since we were faceless to each other, to be a friend to the guy who had great loss. I wished that I was able to treat someone in life like that. At face value seeing a person as a person not that they are ugly or beautiful, and I know I am very guilty of this bias I have. Its something trained to us and a part of us since the fall. I bet we can all remember someone in grade school, middle school, or high school that we made fun of, if we didn't make fun of them, we were not able to make friends with them because we did not want the association to them. Why would we make friends with him and risk the chance of being made fun of? I noticed at the end of High School that many of those barriers were breaking down between everyone and where talking a bunch more. It was still very superficial still, and I am sure we still wouldn't hang out with those previously mentioned "undesirables." Back to Adam's new found fear though when all these things were new.

If Adam had been able to see all that God had done, and all the love he could offer, with this new knowledge, Adam's imagination could run wild with scenarios of what God might do to him. Adam points blame to Eve. God questions the woman and gets the story of deceit. The man seems to forget one part about his story though. Now you can see that when sin was introduced it was quite a slippery slope. Blame, Lying, Half-Truths, Jealousy, Confusion. Its not like Eve was alone to be deceived, "She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it." WHO WAS WITH HER! WHO WAS WITH HER! The man knew about what God said about the fruit yet he let her go onto it, for he was curious too. I don't think his original plan was that she would be a scapegoat. Scheming minds work fast when they are saving their own skin, Adam surely figured God would not cut of his love if the woman was the cause.

God made us for him to love and for us to love him. This was all fine and dandy till the fall. The hugest part why out of the many various people I have meet and talk to have some sort of trouble or some sort of heartache weighing on them. It has been so long since the fall that we still feel and want that connection to our creator, whether we choose to believe it or not. We can try to hid it in other items or relationships but I think we only poorly simulate what we really call for inside and thats the love from God. Its not only humans that want that connection again. God is surely heartbroken too. That even God close to the fall already had his ideas set for the redeeming power of Jesus to be given to us, and all the stories and history to help us understand more. God didn't make us robots though, and we choose that fruit the first time, and he gives us the choice again in the end for us to choose the lamb's sacrifice to enter into his love again.

John 14:6 "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

No comments:

Post a Comment