Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Perception of Others and Ourselves

Conversation between Humans
Guy1: "I am a firm believer of God and what Jesus did for me. That comforts me even when in depression. I am glad to hear you are on your way to a healthier life. Its worth living whether you have the same beliefs as me or not."

Guy2:"Very well put and agreed. I am glad to see that despite a vast difference in sociological and religious belief's we are not so provincial minded to not see the other one's plight and feel sorrow. That is what amazes me about the spectrum of human emotion. That being on such different sides of various situations, we could both end up with such a similar result and outlook."

Guy1:"Jesus told us to love the way he does, basically unconditionally. Its your decision to act upon what you know and deal with your own convictions.
I know that I rather be able to relate to someone because I am human, just because of my belief, it does not make me something inhuman, different or better than you. I know there is a time and a place when to talk about my walk with Christ with people and a time to fellowship."

Guy2:"If more of the "Modern" Christian's thought along those same lines, and believed more in love and forgiveness then tyranny, displacement, and damnation, the world would be a much better place. We need more fellowship in this world these days. Comradery over combat any day."

This is a conversation with a man. I completely do not know this man at all, but on this one night. We came together as what we are deep down inside. Human. Full of emotion, sorrows, dreams, fears, and everything else between. This guy had dealt with being a happy and expecting father, until the baby's mother was convinced by his mother to get an abortion while he was working. Guys don't admit to crying much, but he told me he cried over this loss. Considering myself never being put in that situation it hurt because of my own aspirations to be a father someday. This guy even died from a suicide attempt. The doctor's were able to bring him back and I thank God for that, and I bet its the reason why we had the chance to talk to each other. This guy has a big heart and while God blesses us all, I hope the blessings go on with him.

Despite the distance I know that this guy would make a great friend, maybe since we were both faceless to each other we were able to more relate because we were not using the criteria of looks. I would like to be able to treat anybody the way we treated each other that night. I know that we are suppose to spread the word and be disciples of all nations but I scream no! I would scream no because as humans we make things goal oriented, it is easy to understand that way, get a point count for every convert and maybe a few more if they turn out to be a pastor. It just leads others to have the wrong perspective about Christ. In my last blog I talked about the perception people get of Christ because of our actions and if they are getting "tyranny, displacement, and damnation." Then we have failed at the greatest commandments Jesus told us.

Matthew 22:37-38 "Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

1 Peter 5:5-9 "5Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble." 6Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

Many people have told me to be Christ-like so people see us and really want what we have in Christ. Sometimes brothers in the Bible refers to those with faith but I would say it would make sense if we treated everyone as a sibling. Things are hard, we all have our own stories to tell and some might be similar. The mistakes I have made in life have become my testimony and other people might have made the same mistakes as me too. I rather relate to them through that hurt or suffering than scoff them because I was "further" along and overcame my trials. We are not against each other as humans.

I will end by saying that I would take "Comradeship over combat any day."

No comments:

Post a Comment