Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Job's Friends

Job 2:11 "11When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. 12 When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. 13 Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was."

You know, people associate with Job a lot because of this short time of trials must of sucked for him. Even his friends saw the great amount of suffering he was in. They were truly great friends until one respect. They started trying to figure everything out, pointed fingers, and even accused their friend of lying.

I always told myself I want friends like Job had, well erase the quality they show after these verse. Job was extremely overcame in sorrow and with his disfigurement his friends did not recognize him. They began to cry. Yes weep and cry because of how much sorrow he was in. How many times have I had a friend that looked at me and really understood how bad I felt? A few times I am sure but I don't think they understood it as great as Job's friends did. They tore their clothes and sprinkled dust on their heads; that was customary of times though. Do not be afraid to be my friend, I won't come running and stripping my clothes off because I heard your problem.

The tearing or rending of clothes was an outward sign of grief and distress over some disaster or calamity. It was also a sign of deep sorrow and mourning over someone who has died. That was customary to that time. I might come and hug you and cry still but I'll keep my clothes on. I promise as long as you do the same thing for me.

His friend's however tried to solve Job's problem and that turned into so many other problems (example: blaming, accusing, assumptions, and even pride). Sometimes we do have to handle things for ourselves but it is nice to have the comfort of our friends understand out struggles, and help once in a while, but not every single time. I do not think that gives us the right to decided when to help a friend or not, but I know that we can always be supportive in all issues. The friends made many valid points I think but not valid accusations, they should of just keep weeping with Job till he figured it out for himself. Sadly the friends charging him let him to demand God's audience. Imagine how scary that really is, especially when God responds like this:

Job 40:1-2"The LORD said to Job:
2 "Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!""

No comments:

Post a Comment