Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ask someone, What is Heaven Like?

I have been thinking a lot about what is heaven like. You know everybody has those preconceived ideas of what it is like. You know pearly white gates(though in my study I found some gates in heavens are decorated with Precious Gems), Peter being the bouncer and making sure you are in the Lamb's Book of Life, giving you your wings and halos and letting you in(and no we do not become angels in heaven, they are not humans and actually I think they get jealous of us sometimes). Asking a few people about what they thought heaven was like, I found something a little scary, They DO NOT mention God at all, and he is completely disassociated from heaven. Some even said heaven was just what our idea of it was, and thats what it would be. Heaven has became this silent bullet to the head to some, for example, Lenny of Mice and Men, but instead of the fluffy bunnies, we keep our mind's busy with life and that when we die some miraculous place called "Heaven" is waiting for us. Heaven is a nice idea to calm us of the ideas of not existing. WHAT IF WE ARE WRONG?! I grew some fear at the thought of being wrong, being a believer I know that something is waiting and that is going to be judgement from God.

John 14:6 "Jesus Answered, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the father except through me.

With that I know that I can sleep a little easier at night, but I had thoughts heaven was like hanging out with friends, playing some video games, maybe chilling with family. I also thought that heaven is worshiping God forever. I love worship but given enough of something I would get bored of worship and God would see that in my thoughts, might reject me for that. So I got thinking into what is heaven really like? Not my thoughts of what it is, but what it really is?

2nd Peter 13 "But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

Prior to this verse it talks about the destruction, and relates it into the beginning of creation, some very serious stuff that I could go into about the poetic, true meanings, and probably even a bunch of prophesy but I do not fell like going into all that detail. Caitlin actually pointed me specifically to this verse when I asked her about heaven. It gave me a feeling inside. It was very joyful that we can look forward to a NEW heaven and NEW earth since this one is ending in destruction, OR DOES IT (Read Blog:Going Green the way to Heaven)?

2 Corinthians 5:1-5 "1Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."

Things are beginning to look more hopeful, I think I do want to be in my heavenly clothes. Maybe for that reason I think I might be able to be what I really want to be for God or just the fact that it is a present from God? The spirit was given to us as a deposit, as a guarantee of what is to come. What happens when we don't feel that Spirit of God on us anymore? Is it something that is can be shed away, or is it a place that the convictions bring us back to God suggesting the Spirit is still there?

2 Corinthians 5:6-10 "6Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.7We live by faith, not by sight. 8We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

I actually decided to look more into the context of this because one of my favorite verses are contained in this and I figured I rather see what my favorite verse is all about in context. 2nd Corinthians 5:7, "We live by faith, not by sight." Could it be that my fear that I might get bored in heaven when worshiping that is a figurative term for sight? I want to be pleasing to god but I do not think my body is that willing for it, away from my body and in heavenly clothing would I be able to be pleasing in whatever tasks lay await in heaven? I leave this all these open questions to ask yourself, because God is real, and God is waiting to hear from you, and teach you. I think that this was put on my heart because when I ask myself these questions I think others could benefit from asking these questions themselves. What is heaven is like? No one really knows what it really is like, what we will do there, or really what it looks like such as an artist could not draw. This last passage leaves me with great joy and a better idea of what is to come.

Revelations 21:2-5"2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.""

2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy! Im stoked You started a blog! I have also thought many times about heaven but then I realized That heaven in all its Glory, wonder perfection and Majesty is NOT entirely for US! Jesus created us to bring Him glory and honor, therefore, He created heaven as a perfect place of our UN-INTERRUPTED WORSHIP of Him. Consider the angels that have been created by God for the sole purpose of constant worship as they lay on their faces crying 'holy,holy,holy is the Lord of Hosts'. Looking back at your blog where you mentioned that You might could possibly get bored of doing the same thing for eternity...you have to realize that Christ is so massive that our minds literally cannot grasp Him. When we stand before an Omnipotent, Omni-Present, Onsiscient God of love and eternal righteousness, we WILL fall on our faces in worship Him for all eternity! This worship, in light of our debt to Jesus Christ for saving us from damnation, will never grow old, but only outdue the worship of the angels who no NOTHING of the kind of Love that Christ showed when He died for us! ( APR's song 'From Up Here' ;)...) Anyway thats just my 2 scents bro. I love you man and keep getting Jesus out there! - Nathan APR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the question you posed, and the answer that you found in the scriptures. I have also wondered what heaven will be like, and the verse I turn to (when it's getting to be hell on earth) is the very same verses you put in here; 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
    That's what I look foward to, but I like you have thought about constantly worshipping the Lord and in my flesh I think that could get a little boring, that's why I think it's going to be great, because just like you said this tent that we're wearing now we won't be. Sin will not be present and my selfish motivations and ambitions won't be there. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts, it's good to know that we aren't alone in thinking some of the things we do.
    God Bless
    Lori Orlando

    ReplyDelete