Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

KNOWING The Contrasting Knowings

James 1:5-8
5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

This has been a struggle with me over the last few days when I first read these verse. I felt something trying to affect me but I just could not find meaning to it or ideas to process. I first wrote that I am a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. Why? I feel that way so I'll start by being honest to myself. We know we would like things this way specifically but will compromise to another idea instead of adhering to the original plans. I then starting talking about my own prayer life about how I understand God could do amazing things through prayer but he might not do them for me also that we can at anytime ask God for more wisdom. Practically thats what I said word for word on my first visit to this verse but now I feel the idea of what James was going for here in this opening statement.

I was that double minded man. James goes so far as pointing fingers I would say quickly in this verse. James says that "[we] should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault." A hard switch from what he first states to put up the good fight even through the trials to making us feel the conviction about our character. James goes on a lot throughout most of this book that Christians should walk with integrity and anything less is hypocritical. Feels judgmental in a view to a new Christian most likely but when you are so far in the walk as someone such as me, this is like, "Seriously, I know this rock is there, why am I still forcing myself to stumble over it." This could be in numerous situations but the conviction that hits me is this was in response to how people pray.

We ask in belief that it will be given to us. It being Wisdom here not ANYTHING which is what lots of people hear that if you "believe" enough it will be given to you. This is completing in regards to wisdom in the Lord, if I understand God at all is that Wisdom is something that God would love to give without reserve but when we come to him in the double minded manner of yes, God can do this, but is he really? To put it another way:God could do amazing things through prayer but he might not do them for me. Look familiar? God wants us to be confident in asking something such as this. Even reminds me a little of this verse.

Luke 11:11 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?"

If we ask God in good faith for something like Wisdom, I don't think he would hold it back, especially if its something to understand and improve our character and walk with God especially asked in humility. Why can't we put that into practice? Its not that hard, we understand it, know that its happened plenty of times to others around us and even other stories in the bible. We can "Yes we know lots about God," but when talking the talk comes to walking the walk, we seem to have our faces grinding on the dirt. Pastor Kevin even explaining it to me that we know God, but we must KNOW God. Its easy to get a bullet list out and start creating a God, to give concrete form to the miraculous unseen God, even further disrespecting him. What does it come down is we believe but we must overcome our unbelief. WHAT?! See how James was talking about this double minded man, this statement sums it up pretty well, written out its confusing but I am sure you come to a sense of understanding from it.

Mark 9:21-29
Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the evil spirit. "You deaf and mute spirit," he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again."

The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, "He's dead." But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.

After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, "Why couldn't we drive it out?"
He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."


This kind can only come out only by prayer. Speaking of the man's honesty in his belief and contrasting nature inside him and its even a quality with the disciples who also had this issue of unbelief to heal, move mountains, and drive out demons. The first spot is realizing we again are trying to form this concrete idea of God to live by, but God is not a bulleted list. We must acknowledge who he really is and break down in prayer to break down out unbelief that we carry. Prayer is always first, nothing serves its rightful purpose if its outside of God's Grace.

I can Only Imagine what God will be like but I will not be able to fully grasp who he really is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment